Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Some things that are going on in my life


Okay all I'm going to say about house hunting is that it is EXHAUSTING and stressful.  It's fun but also stressful.  When do you know when a house is "the one"?  How do you balance making sure you've considered all the pros and cons and thought about a house enough before making an offer in today's crazy market, where the best houses get snapped up within hours?  There is so much second-guessing involved.  I am looking forward to a legit vacation next week so I can rest my brain, and spend some quality time with Brahm where our biggest decision will be what to have for supper.

Also we have solved the swatch issue from the last post, in case you were wondering (haha in case??  As if!  You were clearly on the edge of your seat for the conclusion of that one).  We decided to get all the bridesmaids to order dresses from a bridal shop, from the same designer and dye lot so they all match.  Different dresses though, because I kind of think matching dresses look cheesy (at least to me).  I sent about a million texts to my maid of honour Sherri while trying to decide this, and then she called me later in the day and said "Okay, first of all, you're NOT a controlling bride, but even if you were that's okay because I LOVE controlling brides."  I love Sherri.

Speaking of the bridesmaid dresses - perhaps it's time to start a new feature on the blog called "Texts from Voice to Text."  If you don't know what voice to text is, basically a robot listens to my voicemail and translates it into a text message that I can read if I'm not able to check my voicemail right away.  It's an alright feature, except when it sends me things like THIS:

"Hi Robin this is Alex calling from the dress(?) your Fair(?) Mont(?) just came in and tried on the Berry(?). Jay(?) just doesn't(?) keep(?) it running(?) gas(?) it up and she had mentioned(?) that you have 2 other bridesmaid.  So I was just wondering when you'd be able to come in because we wanna order these ASAP just because of your date being August 18th.  If you wanna give me a call back at the desk(?) today.  I'll be here till 5:0..."

PS, it only fits the message into three texts.  PPS, I don't know what that was supposed to say except I figured out that it was the bridal shop calling me about dresses.

ALSO - I just finished reading an AMAZING AMAZING book called Quiet.  It's about introverts and how their brains work and how North American society and culture is geared towards extraverts and undervalues introverts.  It was so good, WOW.  I would highly highly recommend this book to everyone, as it gives so much insight into how both personality types (introverts and extraverts) tick and how to deal with one or the other when you're of the opposite personality type.  It's packed with fascinating psychological and neuroscientific research, and I can't wait to write about a million blog posts about it because I learned so much from every chapter, I kind of want to dedicate an entire post to reviewing each chapter because it was JUST THAT GOOD.  But don't hold me to that.  If you're looking for an interesting read that will probably change your life and how you see yourself and others, check out Quiet. 


(Don't actually click to look inside.  I just got the photo from Amazon.)  BUT also, at only $14 for the hardcover from Amazon, maybe that was the best 14 bucks I've ever spent.  Or at least up there among some of the best 14 buckses.  Especially if you're an introvert too, I guarantee it'll also be one of the best 14 buckses YOU'LL ever spend too.

And finally, I got a new lens today for my DSLR camera!  I bought a Canon Rebel before we went to Iceland last year but the lens was kind of a piece of junk that barely zoomed at all so I decided to use a bit of extra cash I had hanging around for a present for myself.  I did a bunch of research and purchased this bad boy (although not for retail price - thank you eBay!), which is supposed to be the best entry-level lens there is.  It came in the mail today and I love it.  It definitely makes my old lens seem like a cheap piece of garbage.  And it should, because this lens retails for more than the camera cost.  I can't wait to take some awesome pictures next week on our trip!

Anyway I think that's all my big things for now.  I'm so glad I'm on holidays not going back to work tomorrow.  This is definitely a much-needed holiday.



No comments:

Post a Comment